Casio Group Code of Conduct
I. General Provisions
The purpose of the Casio Group Code of Conduct (hereinafter, “Code of Conduct”) is to define rules that ensure all executive officers and employees comply with relevant international norms, the laws of individual countries and/or regions , and company rules as well as serve as upstanding members of society with high ethical standards and sound common sense in their daily activities as a part of the Casio Group’s global operations.
This Code of Conduct applies to all executive officers and employees of the Casio Group. For the purpose of this Code of Conduct, the term “Casio Group” shall refer to Casio Computer Co., Ltd., its subsidiaries, and affiliated companies in which Casio Computer Co., Ltd., has real management rights, while the word “we” shall refer to all Casio Group executive officers and employees.
Casio Group employees shall faithfully abide by the provisions of this Code of Conduct, while executive officers and division heads shall lead by example, complying with this Code of Conduct at all times, and shall ensure complete compliance within their respective organizations.
II. Code of Conduct
1.Enabling Value Creation
1-1. Provision of Products and Services Beneficial to Society
We will develop and provide products and services beneficial to society based on our creation-oriented mindset to create new value from nothing, or by going from “0” to “1”, and contribute to the development of a sustainable society in the process.
2.Fulfilling Our Corporate Social Responsibilities
2-1. Respect for Human Rights
- We will support and respect international norms on human rights defined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and we will not be complicit in human rights violations.
- We will not engage in any form of discrimination on the basis of race, creed, gender, age, social status, family status, nationality, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender reassignment, or sexual orientation, and so forth.
- We will not engage in discriminatory talk, violence, sexual harassment, power harassment, violations of privacy, defamation, slander, or any other action that violates the dignity of an individual or individuals.
- We will not use or permit any form of child or forced labor.
- We will respect basic labor rights, including the right to organize and the right of collective bargaining.
2-2. Environmental Conservation
- We recognize the importance of environmental and biodiversity conservation and at our own initiative we will engage in daily activities to help proactively protect the global environment and contribute to the realization of a sustainable society.
- We will create products and services that are considerate of the environment in all stages of their lifecycle, from research and development to design, materials procurement, distribution, use, disposal and recycling, and we will strive to promote their wider use.
- We will offer products and services that help reduce or absorb CO2, and we will work to achieve a low-carbon society by striving to use renewable energies.
- We will work to achieve a recycling-oriented society by using the Earth’s natural resources and water more effectively, finding alternatives where possible and recycling.
- We will endeavor to collect information on hazardous substances that may cause environmental destruction or negatively affect human health or natural ecosystems and through our biodiversity conservation activities we will foster an appreciation for our planet as well as work to achieve harmony with the natural environment.
2-3. Sound Initiatives across the Entire Supply Chain
We will strive to ensure sound initiatives are being taken across the entire supply chain in regards to compliance with international norms, laws, social practices, human rights, labor rights, safety, environmental conservation, anti-corruption, and the non-use of conflict minerals, in order to achieve mutual benefits for the entire supply chain.
2-4. Harmony with Society
- We recognize that certain actions accepted in certain countries and regions may not be accepted in other countries and regions, and will respect the culture and customs of the countries and regions in which we operate and act accordingly.
- We will proactively take part in social contribution activities in the fields of next generation education, study and research, environmental conservation, local community activities, and culture and the arts.
3.Building Customer Trust
3-1. Provision of Safety and Peace of Mind to Customers
- We will provide safety and peace of mind to our customers by striving to ensure superior quality products and services based on the recognition of “Quality First”.
- In the event that we obtain information on an accident or safety problem involving our products or services, we will exert our best efforts to promptly investigate and take appropriate measures in order to minimize damages and prevent future reoccurrences.
4.Establishing Sound Workplaces
4-1. Establishment of Employee-friendly Workplace Environments
- We embrace the diversity of our employees in terms of their personality, individuality, cultural background, values and opinions, and will strive to create sound workplaces that integrate such diversity.
- We recognize the importance of maintaining a work-life balance and will flexibly embrace a variety of different ways of working.
- We will maintain a safe, hygienic, and comfortable workplace environment, and will strive each day to prevent workplace accidents and injuries as well as illnesses.
- We will proactively take part in initiatives to maintain and promote better health. We will be considerate of not only our own health, but the health of those around us.
5.Ensuring Correct Actions
5-1. Compliance with Laws
We will carry out daily activities in full compliance with international norms, the laws of each country and region, and company rules.
5-2. Prohibition of Bribery and Restrictions on Business Entertainment and Gift-giving
- We will comply with anti-corruption laws and never engage in activities deemed as bribery of public servants, government officials, or the executive offices and/or employees of other companies. Moreover, we will never take bribes ourselves.
- We will comply with relevant laws and company rules on business entertainment and gift-giving to customers and the executive officers and/or employees of business partners, and such actions will be limited to the scope of commonly accepted business practices and social conventions.
- We will not engage in behavior where we receive business entertainment or gifts in exchange for favorable treatment extended to a specific customer or business partner.
- We will make political contributions or donations appropriately and in compliance with relevant laws and company rules after carefully considering the need and validity of such contributions or donations.
5-3. Fair Competition and Transactions
- We will comply with antitrust laws on fair competition and transactions, and never engage in activities that violate such laws, such as bid-rigging and price cartels.
- We will not use a dominant bargaining position to modify one-sidedly the condition of transactions.
- We will not engage in binding resale price agreements, cross-selling or any other action that improperly restricts or limits the business activities of our business partners.
- We will not provide exaggerated premiums or unjustifiable representations that may cause customers to error in their selection of the proper product or service.
- We will conclude legal and appropriate agreements with our customers and business partners.
- We will comply with obligations such as the issuance of written documentation when placing orders in the business transactions with subcontractors in accordance with the Act against Delay in Payment of Subcontract Proceeds, Etc., to Subcontractors* and we will not request the provision of improper economic benefits, refuse receipt, delay or reduce the payment of proceeds, or unjustly return products.
※The Act against Delay in Payment of Subcontract Proceeds, Etc., to Subcontractors: The Japanese law that restricts abuse of a dominant bargaining position by a main subcontracting company against its subcontractors.
5-4. Prohibition of Insider Trading
We will not trade stock (take part in insider trading) using information prior to its public release that can materially affect the stock price of the Casio Group or other companies. We will not engage in behavior that solicits third parties to take part in insider trading.
5-5. Thorough Security Trade Control
We will abide by relevant laws and company rules as well as follow the proper procedures when undertaking export transactions involving our products and/or technologies.
5-6. Prohibition of Involvement with Anti-social Forces
- We will strive to maintain and stabilize public order and will never maintain relationships with forces engaged in anti-social activities.
- In the event an unreasonable claim is received from an anti-social force, we will immediately contact the prescribed department and take a resolute stance as an organization to prevent any and all benefits to the anti-social force.
5-7. Separation of Personal Affairs from Business
- We will properly manage company properties, both tangible and intangible, and only use such properties for business purposes and never personal use.
- We will not engage in activities for the benefit of ourselves or third parties that violate the legitimate interests of the Casio Group.
- We will exercise self discipline to avoid behavior in our personal and business activities that deviates from commonly accepted social norms. We will not engage in behavior that damages or harms the credibility or good name of the Casio Group.
5-8. Information Protection
- We will fully comply with relevant laws and company rules on the collection, use, provision, retention and disposal of personal information from our customers, shareholders, investors, executive officers, employees as well as the executive officers and employees of our business partners, and we will handle such information with the utmost care to prevent any and all incidents of divulgation.
- We will strictly manage confidential corporate information, never divulge it, nor disclose it without following the proper procedures outlined in company rules. We will never improperly or illegally use corporate confidential information during our employment, and after our resignation or retirement from the Casio Group.
5-9. Protection and Utilization of Intellectual Properties
- We will create and protect intellectual properties of the Casio Group and strive to proactively utilize such properties.
- We will respect the intellectual properties of other parties and never illegally use or infringe upon such properties or rights.
6.Building a Relationship of Trust with Society
6-1. Promotion of Communication with Society
- We will strive to promote communication as a means to enhancing our relationship of trust with a variety of stakeholders, including customers, shareholders, investors, employees, local communities and business partners.
- We will disclose corporate information, including management policies, business information, financial information, and CSR activity information, in a timely and appropriate manner in order to enhance the transparency of management and fulfill our accountability to society. Moreover, we will humbly welcome requests and feedback from society on the information we disclose and strive to reflect these in subsequent business activities.
- We will accurately and unambiguously report and record financial, accounting and other information as necessary based on relevant laws and company rules, and we will properly retain these records and reports.
1. Establishment, Revision and Abolishment of this Code of Conduct
- The establishment, revision or abolishment of this Code of Conduct shall be determined by the Board of Directors of Casio Computer Co., Ltd. However, Casio Group companies can establish their own code of conduct to reflect the laws, social practices and business characteristics of the country or region in which they operate as long as it is within a scope consistent with this Code of Conduct.
- The CSR Promotion Office (Secretarial & External Affairs Department) of Casio Computer Co., Ltd. shall be the department in charge of this Code of Conduct.
2. Reporting of Violations
Casio Group executive officers or employees that learn about actions that violate or may violate this Code of Conduct must report this to the Whistleblower Hotline Secretariat or the consultation / reporting contact point of their respected company. Contact points for the Whistleblower Hotline Secretariat have been set up inside Casio Computer Co., Ltd. and external organizations designated by Casio Computer Co., Ltd.
A person reporting a violation will not be subject to retaliation or any other unfair treatment, as long as the purpose of the report is factual and is not intended to slander another person.
3. Handling Violations
Any executive officer or employee that violates this Code of Conduct will be subject to strict reprimand, based on relevant laws or provisions of the employment regulations at the Casio Group company concerned.
History of Establishment / Revisions / Abolishment
Established: October 21, 1998
Revised: July 1, 2003
Revised: June 3, 2008
Revised: June 1, 2013
Remark: This Code of Conduct is translated from the original Japanese version for your information purpose only.